Dear friends,
There are few lessons in life more difficult than learning to let go.
We know how to hold on.
We hold on to people.
We hold on to memories.
We hold on to possessions.
We hold on to our plans.
We hold on to our anger.
We hold on to our disappointments.
We hold on to things people said to us ten years ago.
We hold on to relationships that have already ended.
We hold on to mistakes we made when we were younger.
We hold on to the version of life we thought we were supposed to have.
And sometimes we hold on so tightly that the very thing we are trying to preserve becomes the thing that is hurting us.
We say:
“I can't let this go.”
Perhaps someone betrayed you.
Perhaps someone rejected you.
Perhaps you lost someone you loved.
Perhaps a friendship ended.
Perhaps you were treated unfairly.
Perhaps your plans collapsed.
Perhaps you made a terrible mistake.
Perhaps you keep thinking about something that happened years ago.
Perhaps you are afraid that if you let go, it means you no longer care.
But letting go is not always forgetting.
It is not pretending that nothing happened.
It is not saying that injustice was acceptable.
It is not saying that you never loved someone.
It is not saying that your dreams no longer matter.
And it is certainly not saying that you should become indifferent to life.
Letting go means learning what you must release so that you can become free to live again.
Four great traditions—Buddhism, Christianity, Judaism, and Stoicism—approach this question in different ways.
They do not teach exactly the same thing.
But each offers a profound challenge:
What happens when you stop trying to possess, control, or carry everything?
Why is letting go so difficult?
Let us begin with something very human.
We often believe that holding on protects us.
We think:
“If I keep thinking about what happened, I can prevent it from happening again.”
“If I remain angry, I will make sure they never get away with it.”
“If I keep replaying the memory, perhaps I will finally understand.”
“If I continue worrying, perhaps I can control what happens next.”
“If I refuse to forgive, I can make the other person pay.”
“If I hold tightly to this relationship, perhaps I can prevent losing it.”
But sometimes our grip becomes our prison.
Imagine holding a glass of water.
If you hold it normally, it is easy.
But squeeze it tightly for an hour.
Your hand begins to hurt.
The water does not become safer because you are squeezing it.
You become exhausted.
Sometimes the same thing happens emotionally.
We grip the past.
We grip our expectations.
We grip our anger.
We grip our fear.
We grip our identity.
And eventually we become exhausted.
The spiritual question is:
What are you holding that you were never meant to carry forever?
Buddhism: letting go of attachment
One of the deepest themes in Buddhism is the problem of attachment.
This does not mean that love is bad.
It does not mean that relationships are meaningless.
It means that suffering often arises when we cling to things as though they must remain exactly as we want them to remain.
Everything changes.
Our bodies change.
Our circumstances change.
Our relationships change.
Our emotions change.
Our possessions disappear.
People are born.
People grow old.
People die.
Plans succeed.
Plans fail.
Seasons come.
Seasons go.
And yet the human mind says:
“This must stay.”
Buddhist teaching asks us to look carefully at that demand.
Impermanence
A central Buddhist insight is impermanence.
Everything conditioned is subject to change.
Consider your own life.
Think about who you were ten years ago.
Your interests may have changed.
Your relationships may have changed.
Your beliefs may have changed.
Your body has changed.
Your circumstances have changed.
Perhaps people who were once central to your life are no longer present.
And yet something inside us keeps saying:
“I wish things were the way they used to be.”
But the past cannot become the present again.
This is where letting go begins.
Not with indifference.
With reality.
Reality says:
This moment is changing.
And wisdom says:
I will not demand that the changing world become permanent for my comfort.
Attachment and suffering
Suppose you love someone deeply.
There is nothing wrong with love.
But then your mind says:
“This person must never leave me.”
Now love has become mixed with fear.
You begin checking.
You begin worrying.
You become jealous.
You become possessive.
You become terrified of change.
The problem is no longer simply love.
It is the demand:
“Reality must obey my wishes.”
Buddhist practice asks us to love without clinging.
To appreciate without possessing.
To care without demanding permanence.
To experience without insisting:
“This must never end.”
That is extraordinarily difficult.
But it is also liberating.
Letting go of anger
Consider anger.
Someone hurts you.
You replay it.
Again.
And again.
And again.
You imagine what you should have said.
You imagine what you will say next time.
You imagine them finally understanding how badly they treated you.
You tell the story to yourself repeatedly.
And perhaps you tell other people.
Years pass.
But the event still occupies a room inside your mind.
The person who hurt you may have moved on.
You are still carrying the event.
This is one of the great tragedies of resentment.
The person who hurt you may no longer be holding the weapon, but you continue holding the wound.
Letting go does not mean saying:
“It didn't matter.”
It means saying:
“It mattered, but I refuse to let it govern the rest of my life.”
Mindfulness: see the thought without becoming the thought
Buddhist mindfulness offers a powerful practice.
Instead of immediately believing every thought, observe it.
You might notice:
“I am angry.”
Instead of:
“I am an angry person.”
You might notice:
“I am afraid.”
Instead of:
“My life is hopeless.”
You might notice:
“I am thinking about what happened again.”
Instead of:
“I must solve this thought right now.”
The thought becomes something you can observe.
A cloud passes through the sky.
You do not have to chase it.
You do not have to fight it.
You do not have to become it.
Let it pass.
Christianity: surrendering what you cannot carry
The Christian tradition approaches letting go through trust in God.
Jesus says:
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.”
What a beautiful invitation.
Not:
“Come to me when you have solved everything.”
Not:
“Come when you are strong enough.”
Not:
“Come when you understand why everything happened.”
But:
“Come when you are weary.”
There is a profound spiritual principle here.
Sometimes we are exhausted because we are trying to carry things that belong in God's hands.
We are trying to control outcomes.
We are trying to control other people's opinions.
We are trying to control the future.
We are trying to understand every painful event.
We are trying to make sure nothing goes wrong.
And eventually we discover:
I cannot carry the entire world.
“Your will be done”
One of the most powerful prayers in Christianity is:
“Your will be done.”
Think about how difficult those words can be.
We naturally want to say:
“My will be done.”
My plan.
My timing.
My preference.
My desired outcome.
My relationship.
My career.
My future.
But prayer teaches surrender.
“Your will be done.”
This does not mean becoming passive.
It means recognizing:
I am not God.
I do not know everything.
I cannot see the future.
I cannot control every person.
I cannot prevent every tragedy.
I cannot guarantee every outcome.
But I can trust God while doing what is mine to do.
Surrender is not giving up
Some people hear the word surrender and think:
“It means quitting.”
But spiritual surrender is different.
Giving up says:
“Nothing matters.”
Surrender says:
“I will do what I can and entrust what I cannot control to God.”
Giving up says:
“There is no point.”
Surrender says:
“I do not need to control everything in order to remain faithful.”
Giving up is despair.
Surrender can be trust.
Forgiveness
Christianity places enormous emphasis on forgiveness.
Jesus teaches his followers to forgive.
But forgiveness is often misunderstood.
Forgiveness does not mean denying injustice.
It does not mean pretending that betrayal was harmless.
It does not mean refusing appropriate boundaries.
It does not mean trusting someone who has repeatedly proven untrustworthy.
Forgiveness means releasing the desire to personally become the instrument of vengeance.
You can say:
“What happened was wrong.”
And also:
“I refuse to spend the rest of my life being consumed by hatred.”
That is letting go.
The cross and the release of revenge
The Christian story places extraordinary emphasis on responding to suffering without becoming consumed by hatred.
The crucifixion represents profound injustice and suffering.
Yet the message is not:
“Become evil because evil was done to you.”
Instead, the path points toward forgiveness, love, sacrifice, and trust in God.
That is one of the most radical forms of letting go:
Let go of the need to personally repay every wrong.
Justice still matters.
But you do not have to become the judge, jury, and executioner of everyone who has hurt you.
Judaism: letting go through trust, repentance, and renewal
The Jewish tradition offers another profound understanding of release.
The Hebrew Scriptures repeatedly remind us that human beings are not the ultimate controllers of reality.
We make plans.
We work.
We struggle.
We build.
We hope.
But life ultimately contains uncertainty.
The wisdom literature repeatedly encourages trust, humility, patience, and the recognition of human limitations.
One of the most important ideas is that life is not frozen in a single moment.
A person can change.
A person can repent.
A person can return.
A person can begin again.
This is enormously important for learning to let go.
Letting go of your past mistakes
Perhaps the hardest thing you need to release is not another person.
Perhaps it is your former self.
You remember something foolish you did.
Something cruel you said.
A decision you regret.
A relationship you destroyed.
An opportunity you wasted.
You think:
“If only I could go back.”
But you cannot.
You can learn.
You can apologize.
You can make restitution where appropriate.
You can change.
But you cannot rewrite yesterday.
The Jewish concept of teshuvah, often associated with repentance or return, contains a beautiful idea:
You are not permanently imprisoned by your past.
You can turn.
You can return.
You can become different.
This is letting go of the identity:
“I am forever the worst thing I have ever done.”
No.
You are responsible for your actions.
But you are not required to remain unchanged.
Repentance is a form of letting go
True repentance means releasing the old path.
Suppose someone has been dishonest.
They say:
“That is who I am.”
But repentance says:
“That is what I did. It does not have to remain what I do.”
Suppose someone has lived with anger.
Repentance says:
“I have practiced anger, but I can learn another way.”
Suppose someone has hurt another person.
Repentance says:
“I cannot undo the past, but I can take responsibility for the future.”
That is profound freedom.
You do not have to worship your past.
Letting go of resentment
The human heart often wants justice.
That is understandable.
When we are wronged, we want someone to recognize it.
We want an apology.
We want consequences.
We want acknowledgment.
Sometimes those things are appropriate.
But there is a danger:
We can become so attached to the desire for justice that resentment becomes our identity.
We wake up thinking about the person.
We go to sleep thinking about the person.
We tell everyone about the person.
Years later, we are still emotionally organized around what they did.
At some point we must ask:
“How much of my life am I giving to someone who is no longer entitled to occupy this much space in me?”
Letting go means reclaiming that space.
Stoicism: release what is not yours to control
Now consider Stoicism.
Perhaps its most famous practical lesson is the distinction between what is within our control and what is not.
We do not completely control:
other people's opinions;
other people's choices;
the past;
the future;
our reputation;
unexpected events;
illness and aging;
success and failure.
But we have much greater responsibility for:
our judgments;
our choices;
our intentions;
our actions;
our character.
This distinction can transform your life.
The past is outside your control
Think about yesterday.
Can you change it?
No.
You can learn from it.
You can apologize.
You can repair what can be repaired.
But you cannot go backward.
So why do we repeatedly punish ourselves for something that no longer exists?
Because our minds imagine that endless regret somehow pays for the mistake.
But suffering is not the same thing as repentance.
If you did wrong, make amends.
Learn.
Change.
Then continue.
The Stoic asks:
“What can I do now?”
That question is far more powerful than:
“Why did I do that?”
Epictetus and the discipline of control
Epictetus teaches us to distinguish between what is truly ours and what is not.
Imagine someone insults you.
You cannot control the words that have already been spoken.
But you can control your response.
Someone rejects you.
You cannot force them to love you.
But you can decide how you will live afterward.
You lose an opportunity.
You cannot force the past to reopen.
But you can decide what you do with the next opportunity.
Someone misunderstands you.
You cannot control every interpretation.
But you can live honestly.
This is letting go.
Not because you do not care.
Because you understand where your energy can actually be effective.
Marcus Aurelius: release the need for approval
Marcus Aurelius repeatedly reminds himself not to become dependent upon the opinions of others.
Think about how much of modern life is built around approval.
People look at numbers.
Likes.
Followers.
Comments.
Compliments.
Status.
Recognition.
But if your peace depends on other people's approval, you have given them control over your inner life.
Someone praises you.
You feel wonderful.
Someone criticizes you.
You collapse.
Someone ignores you.
You feel worthless.
The Stoic asks:
“Why should another person's opinion have absolute authority over my character?”
Live according to virtue.
Be honest.
Be courageous.
Be fair.
Be disciplined.
Then let other people's opinions remain where they belong:
outside your control.
Letting go is not the same in all four traditions
At this point, we should be careful.
These traditions do not simply teach:
“Stop caring.”
That would be a shallow interpretation.
Buddhism teaches letting go of attachment and craving.
Christianity teaches surrender to God and freedom from the burden of vengeance and anxious control.
Judaism teaches trust, repentance, responsibility, and the possibility of renewal.
Stoicism teaches freedom through distinguishing what belongs to our control from what does not.
Their languages differ.
Their theological foundations differ.
But each challenges the illusion that we must possess complete control over life.
What should you let go of?
Let us become practical.
Perhaps you need to let go of the need to be right.
Sometimes we spend hours trying to prove that we were right.
Maybe you were.
But ask:
“What will proving it accomplish?”
Sometimes peace is worth more than winning an argument.
Perhaps you need to let go of someone's approval.
You can live honestly without making everyone like you.
Perhaps you need to let go of the past.
Learn from it.
But stop living inside it.
Perhaps you need to let go of resentment.
Not because the other person deserves your forgiveness.
Because your soul deserves freedom.
Perhaps you need to let go of control.
You can work hard.
You can plan.
You can prepare.
But you cannot control everything.
Perhaps you need to let go of perfectionism.
You do not have to become flawless before you are worthy of peace.
Perhaps you need to let go of fear of uncertainty.
The future is unknown.
That does not mean the future is hopeless.
Letting go of a relationship
Sometimes letting go involves another person.
This can be one of the hardest forms of surrender.
You loved them.
You imagined a future.
You invested time.
You made memories.
And now the relationship is ending.
Your mind says:
“But it was supposed to work.”
Maybe.
But life does not always follow the script we wrote.
Sometimes love means holding on.
Sometimes wisdom means releasing.
If a relationship is destructive, letting go may be an act of courage.
If someone repeatedly violates your boundaries, distance may be necessary.
If two people have genuinely reached the end of a relationship, clinging may only prolong suffering.
You can be grateful for what was without demanding that it continue forever.
Letting go does not erase love
This is important.
People sometimes fear:
“If I let go, it means I never loved them.”
No.
You can release someone and still be grateful.
You can move forward and still remember.
You can stop contacting someone and still wish them well.
You can accept an ending without declaring the entire relationship meaningless.
Some chapters are beautiful precisely because they are chapters.
A sunset is beautiful because it does not remain forever.
Letting go of grief
Grief is perhaps the clearest example of something we cannot simply command away.
When someone dies, you cannot say:
“I am letting go now.”
and expect the heart to obey immediately.
Grief moves in its own way.
Letting go does not mean letting go of love.
It means gradually learning to carry love without demanding the physical presence that once accompanied it.
You may always miss someone.
You may always remember.
Healing does not require forgetting.
Sometimes healing means learning how to remember without being destroyed by the memory.
Letting go of anger does not mean abandoning justice
This point deserves emphasis.
Suppose someone committed a serious wrong.
You may need to report it.
You may need to seek legal protection.
You may need to establish boundaries.
You may need to protect others.
You may need consequences.
Letting go does not mean:
“Nobody should be held accountable.”
Rather:
“I will pursue justice without allowing hatred to consume my identity.”
That is a much more difficult path.
Letting go of the need for revenge
Revenge often promises satisfaction.
It whispers:
“Once they suffer, you will feel better.”
Sometimes people spend years waiting for that moment.
But revenge often keeps the offender psychologically present.
You remain tied to the person.
Your happiness depends upon their suffering.
Your peace depends upon their downfall.
That is another form of bondage.
Freedom says:
“I want justice, but I do not want my entire emotional life to depend on your punishment.”
Letting go of comparison
Comparison is another attachment.
We look at someone else's life and say:
“Why don't I have that?”
Someone earns more.
Someone looks different.
Someone gets married.
Someone has children.
Someone becomes famous.
Someone succeeds.
Someone travels.
Someone appears happy.
And we begin measuring our life against theirs.
But you are not living their life.
Your task is not to become someone else.
Your task is to become the best version of the person you can responsibly become.
Stoicism says: focus on your own character.
Buddhism says: observe craving.
Christianity says: trust God's purposes.
Judaism says: live faithfully within your responsibilities.
All four challenge the endless comparison game.
Letting go of “what if?”
Few phrases torture the mind like:
“What if?”
What if I had taken that job?
What if I had stayed?
What if I had left earlier?
What if I had said something different?
What if I had never met that person?
What if I had made another decision?
Some reflection is useful.
But eventually “what if” becomes a door into an imaginary universe that does not exist.
The Stoic brings you back:
What can you do now?
The Buddhist brings you back:
What is happening in this moment?
The Christian brings you back:
Can you entrust your future to God?
The Jewish tradition brings you back:
What can you do today to return, repair, and live faithfully?
Letting go of perfection
Maybe you are holding on to the belief:
“I should have done everything perfectly.”
But you are human.
You will make mistakes.
You will misunderstand.
You will sometimes fail.
You will sometimes disappoint yourself.
You will sometimes disappoint others.
The goal is not perfection.
The goal is growth.
Make the apology.
Learn the lesson.
Repair what you can.
Then let the lesson become part of your wisdom rather than a permanent sentence against yourself.
The difference between acceptance and approval
Acceptance is another word that requires care.
If you accept reality, it does not mean you approve of everything in reality.
You can accept:
“This relationship has ended.”
without saying:
“I wanted it to end.”
You can accept:
“This person treated me unfairly.”
without saying:
“It was acceptable.”
You can accept:
“I made a mistake.”
without saying:
“I am worthless.”
Acceptance means:
I will stop arguing with the fact that this is what has happened.
Only then can you ask:
“What should I do next?”
The spiritual power of “enough”
Sometimes letting go requires saying:
Enough.
Enough replaying the conversation.
Enough checking their social media.
Enough imagining revenge.
Enough punishing yourself.
Enough demanding that the past change.
Enough trying to control everyone's opinion.
Enough carrying what belongs to someone else.
Enough living in yesterday.
There comes a moment when the soul must say:
“I am ready to live again.”
A simple practice for letting go
Here is a practice you can use.
Sit quietly.
Take a slow breath.
Name what you are carrying.
Say:
“I am carrying resentment.”
Or:
“I am carrying fear.”
Or:
“I am carrying regret.”
Or:
“I am carrying the need to control this situation.”
Then ask:
“Is this mine to carry?”
If it is your responsibility, ask:
“What action can I take?”
If it is not your responsibility, say:
“I release what I cannot control.”
For someone practicing Buddhism, this can become mindful observation.
For someone following Christianity, it can become prayerful surrender.
Within Judaism, it can become an invitation toward trust, repentance, and renewal.
Within Stoicism, it can become the discipline of separating what belongs to your agency from what does not.
What if you are not ready to let go?
Then start smaller.
You do not have to release everything today.
Perhaps you can stop checking their social media.
Perhaps you can stop telling the story every day.
Perhaps you can take one evening without replaying the argument.
Perhaps you can forgive yourself for one mistake.
Perhaps you can accept one thing you cannot change.
Perhaps you can say:
“I am not ready to forgive completely, but I am willing to stop feeding my hatred today.”
That is a beginning.
Letting go is often a process rather than a single dramatic moment.
Letting go can be an act of courage
People sometimes think holding on proves strength.
But sometimes holding on is easier.
Anger can become familiar.
Resentment can become part of our identity.
Fear can become comfortable because at least it feels predictable.
Letting go requires stepping into uncertainty.
You say:
“I don't know exactly what comes next, but I will not remain trapped here.”
That is courage.
The empty hands
Imagine your hands are full.
One hand holds the past.
Another holds resentment.
Your arms carry fear.
Your pockets contain regrets.
Your mind carries expectations.
And then you ask:
“Why can't I receive anything new?”
Because your hands are full.
Sometimes God cannot give us a new direction because we are still insisting on carrying the old one.
Sometimes life cannot move forward because our attention remains completely occupied by what has already happened.
Sometimes the next chapter requires empty hands.
What happens after letting go?
Does life suddenly become perfect?
No.
But something changes.
You have more room.
Room for gratitude.
Room for friendship.
Room for creativity.
Room for prayer.
Room for silence.
Room for service.
Room for new possibilities.
Room to breathe.
The purpose of letting go is not emptiness for its own sake.
It is freedom for something better.
A final lesson from all four traditions
Let us bring the four perspectives together one final time.
Buddhism tells us:
Do not cling to what is impermanent. Observe craving, anger, and fear without becoming their servant.
Christianity tells us:
Entrust your burdens to God. Forgive. Release vengeance. Trust rather than trying to control everything.
Judaism tells us:
Do not allow the past to become your permanent identity. Turn, repent, repair, renew, and continue.
Stoicism tells us:
Distinguish what belongs to your control from what does not. Invest your energy in your character and your actions.
And together they offer a profound invitation:
Release what you cannot control.
Learn from what happened.
Take responsibility for what is yours.
Seek justice where justice is needed.
Forgive where forgiveness is possible.
Stop demanding permanence from a changing world.
Stop demanding perfection from yourself.
Stop demanding that other people behave exactly as you wish.
And begin to live.
The final letting go
Perhaps one day you will have to let go of almost everything.
Possessions will go.
Positions will go.
Youth will go.
Achievements will go.
People will come and go.
The body will change.
Circumstances will change.
Even your understanding of yourself will change.
So perhaps wisdom is not learning how to hold everything forever.
Perhaps wisdom is learning how to receive things gratefully while they are present and release them gracefully when their time has come.
Love while you can love.
Serve while you can serve.
Work while you can work.
Apologize while you can apologize.
Forgive while you can forgive.
Tell people that you love them.
Make peace where you can.
Repair what you can repair.
And when something truly cannot be changed, do not destroy yourself trying to make the unchangeable become different.
Conclusion: Open your hands
Dear friends,
There is a time to hold on.
And there is a time to release.
Hold on to love.
Hold on to truth.
Hold on to integrity.
Hold on to compassion.
Hold on to courage.
Hold on to faith.
Hold on to wisdom.
But let go of hatred.
Let go of revenge.
Let go of unnecessary guilt.
Let go of the fantasy that you can control everything.
Let go of the need for everyone to understand you.
Let go of the demand that the past become different.
Let go of the belief that your worst mistake is your permanent identity.
Let go of what is no longer yours to carry.
Breathe.
Open your hands.
The past is behind you.
The future is not completely yours to control.
This moment is here.
So live it.
If you have wronged someone, repair what you can.
If someone has wronged you, seek justice where necessary, establish boundaries, and refuse to become imprisoned by hatred.
If you have lost someone, grieve with love.
If you have failed, learn.
If you have been rejected, remember your dignity.
If you are afraid, take the next faithful step.
If you are angry, pause before acting.
If you are exhausted, put down what you were never meant to carry alone.
And when you cannot see what comes next, remember:
You do not need to know the entire road in order to take the next step.
Let go.
Not because nothing matters.
But because some things matter too much to sacrifice them to your attachment.
Let go of the past so that you can learn from it.
Let go of resentment so that you can live.
Let go of control so that you can breathe.
Let go of fear so that you can act.
Let go of pride so that you can grow.
Let go of guilt after you have made honest repair.
Let go of revenge so that your heart can become free.
And let go of the illusion that you must carry the whole world upon your shoulders.
Perhaps the deepest wisdom is simply this:
Do what is yours to do.
Love while you can.
Repair what you can.
Learn from what has happened.
Trust what you cannot control.
And when the time comes, open your hands.
Because sometimes the thing you are afraid to release is the very thing preventing you from receiving the life that is waiting for you.
May you have the wisdom to know what to hold,
the courage to know what to change,
the humility to know what to surrender,
and the strength to let go.
Amen.
Comments
Post a Comment